Friday, October 21, 2011

Week One

This week it appears that the insect who was alive in my microaquarium last week is now dead. I'm still not sure what it is. I thought it might be a water bear but it is much too big for that. It has several microorganisms around it that appear to be feeding on it. One of these organisms seems to be a rotifer and I'll identify it for sure and take a picture next week.

In general there are still not a large number of organisms in the aquarium. I found a few in the sediment (to be identified next week) and a few on the plants. One of the organisms in the sediment seems to be a one celled organism with a flagella and another did not have flagella that I could see and sort of pushed around in the sediment.

In the water I could see some single celled algae or bacteria both in rod and circular shape but no other organisms.

One of the plants, the carnivorous one, has formed some bladders but I did not see any organisms in the bladders.

As of Tuesday 18 October the aquarium had a little over 110 units (I'm unsure what the unit on the microscope is) of sediment at several points.

No comments:

Post a Comment